What is Sweet Reads?
Sweet Reads is a summer reading program for K-12 students that began in 2021 as a partnership between Millie’s Homemade Ice Cream, the Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA), and White Whale Bookstore. At Millie’s, we are big believers in fostering local community and we wanted to see foot traffic return to our beloved bookstores and libraries. Plus, who doesn’t love ice cream as a sweet reward for achieving a summer reading goal?!
How does it work? It’s quite easy! Follow these 4 steps:
- Obtain a physical bookmark at any Millie’s location or select libraries across the county (see list below) OR print a digital copy from the Millie’s website.
- Read 5 books (or have someone read 5 books to you!). Any book or periodical will do.
- Validate the bookmark at your local library (note: the library does not have to be a participating Sweet Reads library). Just ask your favorite librarian to sign the dotted line.
- Bring your validated bookmark to one of 8 eligible Millie’s locations (see list below) for a free scoop of your choice.
Which libraries will have physical bookmarks? When will they be available?
The following libraries will have physical bookmarks available for pick-up in late May 2023:
- Andrew Bayne Memorial Library
- Andrew Carnegie Free Library
- Avalon Public Library
- Baldwin Borough Public Library
- Bethel Park Public Library
- Braddock Carnegie Library
- Brentwood Public Library
- Bridgeville Public Library
- C.C. Mellor Memorial Library
- Carnegie Library of Homestead
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
- Clairton Public Library
- Cooper Siegel Community Library
- Coraopolis Memorial Library
- Dormont Public Library
- Hampton Community Library
- Monroeville Public Library
- Moon Township Public Library
- Mt. Lebanon Public Library
- Northern Tier Regional Library
- Northland Public Library
- Oakmont Carnegie Library
- Pleasant Hills Public Library
- Plum Borough Public Library
- Robinson Township Library
- Scott Township Public Library
- Sewickley Public Library
- Shaler North Hills Library
- Sharpsburg Community Library
- South Fayette Township Library
- South Park Township Library
- Upper St. Clair Township Library
- Western Allegheny Community Library
- Whitehall Public Library
- Wilkinsburg Public Library
Where can I print a digital bookmark?
Which Millie’s locations will redeem my free scoop?
You can redeem your free scoop at any of our 8 brick and mortar shops.
- Millie’s Shadyside – 232 S Highland Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- Millie’s Oakland – 207 Oakland Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- Millie’s Market Square – 246 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
- Millie’s Lawrenceville – 3801 Butler St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
- Millie’s South Fayette – 160 Millers Run Rd, Bridgeville, PA 15017
- Millie’s Murrysville -200A Blue Spruce Way, Murrysville, PA 15668
- Millie’s Wexford – 11978 Perry Hwy, Wexford, PA 15090
- Millie’s Cranberry – 20635 US-19, Cranberry Twp, PA 16066
Important: not redeemable at the Kennywood location or at any other Millie’s third-party licensed location or seasonal kiosk.
When does the program begin? When does it expire?
The program officially kicks off after Memorial Day with bookmarks available at Mille’s, participating libraries, and online at that time. Bookmarks can be redeemed all summer long, just remember to visit a Millie’s on or before Labor Day – Monday, September 4th, 2023 – when the program expires.
Can I redeem more than one time?
We kindly ask that participants redeem one free scoop per summer; however, feel free to read as many books as you’d like! The Sweet Reads redemption model operates on the honor system.
What if I can’t eat ice cream or dairy-free gelato? What if I can’t get to a Millie’s?
You may redeem your bookmark for a free sticker in the store or via snail mail. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be sure to mail you one.
I am a teacher / camp counselor. Can I get bookmarks to hand out to my students / campers?
Absolutely! Please email email@example.com.
I am a librarian that needs bookmarks (or more bookmarks) for our library.
Please reach out to Carrie Lane, Youth Service Coordinator, ACLA: firstname.lastname@example.org.